So this week has felt very busy, but I think I can put that down to the bank holiday; with the weekend being longer there’s less of the week to fit everything into! Before you know it, it’s Thursday and it’s blog post time! Todays blog post is a very small small project to prepare me for the very big big project that I have planned for our second bedroom…. This began life as a cupboard… 2 weeks ago it was a cupboard, really scabby door and door frame, very tatty plaster so all in all not an attractive sight (at this point I do wish we had a good before picture). Since then we tore out the whole door and door frame and had it plastered so now it’s just a nice neat section of wall for us to hang a pretty curtain in. Unfortunately the boiler and the pipes make it very difficult to make that back section of wall look at all respectable. This is the cue for ‘Sophie’s Master Plan!’, otherwise known as a brief inkling of an idea in the back of my mind.
I could Decoupage it!
Can you do that? Decoupage a wall? Well google seems to think so, though some of the search images leave a lot to be desired. This second bedroom is going to have my dressing table in so a girly, flowery wall in the back of the cupboard might fit in quite nicely. One little hitch though: I’ve never decoupaged anything in my life! Just a small hitch though, practice makes perfect!
In the spirit of that I toddled into town to get me some decoupage supplies. I just made my own Modge Podge so a little bottle of crafters glue made its way into my basket. I wasn’t entirely sure if I’d need to seal my project but better safe than sorry so some spray sealant also fell in.
And then I discovered The Works! I know I’m late to the party, if you live in the UK and like books, crafts or jigsaws chances are you’ve gotten an amazing deal at the works! I’ve been in before but never really looked. Well today I totally fell in love with their craft section; ribbons, papers, wooden things to decorate, paints, glues, buttons….. well anything really. And the lady at the counter said the craft section was a bit depleted today! I’ll be back next week!
I did manage to show some restraint and picked up some books of pretty craft paper and little wooden box to decorate as another decoupage project. Not for today but at £1 who could resist?! All in all this mini haul cost me £4, cannot complain! And so I set up my dining room table with some protective newspaper and had a play! The project on the cards for today? Pretty Jam Jar lids. I am forever making little bits of chocolate syrup and such for people and end up putting them in ugly jars (that used to home pickles or red peppers) and having a little supply of pretty jars to use would make it feel just a bit more special.
Modge Podge (or Crafters Glue, water and a jar)
Jam Jar lid
Paintbrush or Sponge Brush (decorating at the moment means an old decorating brush is what I currently have to hand)
Step 1: If you’re making your own modge podge just add equal parts glue and water to a jar and give it a good shake until well combined.
Step 2: Trace around your jam jar lid onto the back of your pretty paper and then draw another circle about 2cm or 1/2 inch around that. (Mine is too small in the pictures and didn’t adhere properly on the inside)
Step 3: Cut the big circle out and then cut little slits into the circle, stopping at the inner line.
Step 4: Apply your modge podge to the inner circle and apply it to your jam jar lid, pattern side out. Then stick down each little tab neatly, one at a time.
Step 5: Cover in modge podge and leave to dry (I balanced it on top of a bottle so the underside didn’t stick to anything)
Now after doing all of this I was pretty sure the modge podge I made was a little too watery so I thickened it up with some more glue and applied another layer. In true Sophie style I almost completely ruined the whole thing by being impatient and not letting it dry first. Note to self: let projects dry before you start picking them up and fiddling with them.
No seriously though! Stop touching it!
I did spray it with a few coats of sealant, whether or not that made a different we’ll never know! So other than my little mess up I think it does look pretty! And practice does make perfect so time to start cleaning out some jars!