Heart Shaped Pom Poms

Spread the love

Oooooh this autumn is in full swing and sharply passing us by! Have you checked out my 30 Favourite Things about Autumn post? There are  just so many wonderful things to indulge in! I’ve already made sure I had a tasty hot chocolate, a blackberry crumble and some mulled cider. This week I’ve been hard at work creating super cosy winter hats! It’s been a challenging week to say the least: I got the sizing of the knitted hat wrong 3 times before I FINALLY got it right (or at least I think I did, we’ll find out when I sew it up) and I discovered that 100g of yarn is not quite enough yarn to make a slouch beanie… who would have thunk?!

Beanie 1

So here is my lovely chunky red knitted beanie on the blocking mat. I wasn’t really going to block it but it went super curly on the edges and I don’t think it will sew up well if it’s so curly. Out of this giant 200g ball I just about have enough yarn left for some pom poms!

Beanie 2

The purple speckled yarn has come out my favourite so far! The yarn is a wool blend so it’s not particularly soft, however it will be lovely and warm and just look at how the colour has come out! So pretty! Unfortunately I just about had enough yarn to make it into a normal beanie, however I was going for slouchy beanie with a pom pom so I guess we’re heading back out to Hobbycraft after work….

Speckled beanie

Beanie 3

Last batch of yarn is the marbled yarn which I’m very excited to see how this comes out! I decided to go with a simple double crochet beanie to make the most of the gradient which shouldn’t use quite as much yarn as the puff stitch. However I am super tempted to put 2 big pom poms on top which means I’m probably going to buy an extra ‘just incase’ ball of it while we’re in hobbycraft.

Marbled beanie

Speaking of my pom pom obsession I have a fancy new gadget to show off today! Now I have tried to find this in Hobbycraft or the Works for you guys but neither website had one! However you can purchase one here  (I was given mine but this is the same one)

Heart Shaped Pom Pom

Heart shaped pom pom tutorial; How to make a pom pom using the clover heart shaped pom pom maker
>> Pin Me <<

Holy moly! I am delving into the world of pom poms now! Before we know it I’ll be making panda pom poms and turning my house into a zoo!! But for now, let’s stick with hearts, doesn’t it just seem the perfect yarny addition to a DIY wedding?

Heart shaped pom pom tutorial; How to make ap om pom using the clover heart shaped pom pom maker
Pom Pom maker

Here is the pom pom maker I’ve used: It’s clover like the normal pom pom makers so we know it’ll work well. The first difference you’ll notice is all the little spokes and prongs around the side, these are going to help sculpt that lovely heart shape! Now don’t be tempted to assume it’s like a normal clover pom pom maker and just start wrapping and cutting. You’ll see below what happens if you do that…

Now to use my pom pom maker I used this video to get my head around it, but if you prefer written instructions, this is how I did it:

Step 1

Like all pom pom makers we start simple: wrapping the yarn around each half. Make sure you give it a good coating of yarn and that there’s plenty of yarn in each area between the spokes.

Wrap your yarn around using the spokes as guides
Close your pom pom maker

Step 2

Once covered, like normal push your halves together. We’ll now wrap a length of yarn around the pom pom maker, tie in a single knot and secure on these little ridges on the side.

Wrap a length of yarn around the circumference
Secure your yarn on the spokes

Step 3

We can now cut our yarn along each edge of the pom pom maker. Now don’t do what I did and cut down the middle like a normal clover maker. It doesn’t work. What you need to do is cut through the side each arch in the little gap between the spokes.

Cut through the gap between your spokes, NOT around the circumference

Step 4

Once each edge is cut we can secure our pom pom by unhooking our tied piece of yarn and tightening the knot. Your pom pom will shrink as you pull, this is good! Once out pom pom is secure we can finally unclip the pom pom maker and pull it off our pom pom.

Get ready to pull off the pom pom maker!

Step 5

You may be disappointed at this point (I know I was) but with a small haircut, a little bit of clipping we can perfect our heart shape. Make sure the tip is nice and pointy and your edges are lovely and neat and before you know it you’ll have a beautiful heart shaped pom pom!

Here are my first 3 attempts:

Attempts 1, 2 and 3

As you can see, the first attempt when I used it like a normal pom pom maker just didn’t work. It’s a mess. The second one I got the idea but kept accidentally pulling a bit of yarn as I cut it, so just be very careful. The third attempt I used more yarn and I was more careful as I cut it. SO there is a bit of a learning curve but you will get the hang of it!

Heart shaped pom pom garlands are on the horizon! Tell me guys, what are you going to make with your heart shaped pom poms?

Check out more yarny goodness on my Pinterest!

Related Post

Comments

1. Mommy says:

ahhhh, i knew you would get it lol mine ll looked like your second attempt. of course many ‘rejects’ can have googly eyes and card feet glued on on and you have a super cute gonk!

1. Haha I definitely had to watch a video to do it, but my hands were shaking loads as I trimmed it 😂 I still keep looking at it and thinking “does it actually look like a heart?”

2. Candy says:

You are so talented. I never learned to knit. Now I can’t find anyone to teach me. Love the purple hat would be so warm. Pom Pom maker is pretty cool.

1. Ah thank you so much! The purple hat is really cosy, I begrudge giving it away! I’m self taught in knitting only this year really, so if you did want to teach yourself I recommend using http://www.loveknitting.com as they have lots of directions and videos to get started ❤️

3. Erica says:

I didn’t know there was such a thing as a pom pom maker! Too cool. And the heart shape is even neater. I have a really weird shaped head for hats. So beanies tend to look weird on me. But I’m always jealous of everyone else in them come fall.

1. Pom pom makers are amazing!! I have a bit of an addiction at the moment. Awww it’s a shame you can’t wear beanies!! Pom pom hats are some of my favourite things about winter!

4. Tizzy Says says:

You must have the patience of a saint. Things like this are always so cute, but I do not have the patience to pull it off.

1. It took a lot of fiddling to get it right 🙈 now that I know how to do it though I think it will be much easier

5. Kim says:

I’ve never gotten around to making pom poms for my beanies, but I’ll have to give it a try this winter! I know my daughter would especially love the heart shape! Those are really lovely yarns you used!

1. Thank you ❤️ now that I have pom pom makers I never make a beanie without a pom pom on 😂

6. Marcie says:

I think my niece would LOVE to make these!

1. I hope she can have a go! They take a bit of practice but it’s worth it!

7. Mike Leonard says:

Looks great I have a friend who would love this — just forwarded to her!

1. Thank you ❤️

8. What an adorable DIY craft! It will be perfect for Valentine’s day.

Sondra xx
    prettyfitfoodie.com

1. Yes, I see a valentine’s garland in my future!

9. I love how creative this project is! I recently started a DIY club at my school and have been thinking of fun projects. I would love to teach my students how to make these. I think they would love it!

1. Thanks, they are really fun to make!

10. Oindrila says:

A) I did not know there is such a thing as pom pom maker
    B) You are so talented
    I love DIY st

1. Oindrila says:

A) I did not know there is such a thing as pom pom maker
      B) You are so talented
      I love DIY specially accessories for hair. If I could, I would stitch my own clothes

1. Thank you so much! Pom pom makers are awesome, and really cheap, you should treat yourself to one! I totally wish I could stitch my own clothes!

11. Tina grant says:

Use to love making pom-pom back in my school days, we use to use to cardboard circles, tape together and cut a hole in the middle. then wrap the wool continuously through the hole until the hole was filled. Next, we would cut the edges apart where the tape is and between the two pieces of cardboard tie a string yarn. Pull off the cardboard and volia you have a pom-pom.:)

1. Oh wow yes I remember doing them like that! I used to love making pom poms as a child!

12. frank says:

That looks pretty, i like how to be creative and do stuff on your own instead of letting someone do it. Great post!

1. Thank you very much ❤️ I have a bit of a pom pom obsession at the moment

13. Blair villanueva says:

Very cool diy. Glad to know there is a mold-shaped for heart pom pom. I used to do it manually!

1. Wow well done! I can’t imagine doing it manually, I’m impressed!

14. Those pom poms are the cutest. I had never seen a pom pom maker so that was kind of neat to see how all that comes about. My aunt used to make me beanie’s all the time. It was like she was addicted. lol Thank you for sharing.

1. Haha I think I’m a lot like your auntie, I’m putting at least 1 pom pom on all my hats at the moment… Sometimes 2 😂

15. Aireona says:

I honestly was not expecting this to be so cute! I am really not into this sort of craft, but this is adorable! It is such a great little decoration.

1. Thank you so much ❤️

16. Agnes says:

Did not realize pom pom were made like that! I am not much of a craft person but this is very interesting to see how it it made.

1. Thanks, I’m glad you enjoyed 😊

17. Wow! That looks so cute. My sister is the one who makes things like this. I think she would love it!

1. Ah thank you ❤️

18. Jake Ferrer says:

That’s so cute. I wonder if I have the talent in making one. I would love to try this out!

1. You definitely can! They just take a teeny bit of practice to get right!